How to Become a Fashion Designer
Develop your skills. Successful fashion designers have a wide array of skills, including drawing, an eye for color and texture, an ability to visualize concepts in three dimensions, and the mechanical skills involved in sewing and cutting fabrics.
- The ideal candidate will have started developing these talents at a young age and devoted hours of time to perfecting his or her craft.
- Assemble a portfolio of your work. Your portfolio will be vital when applying to design jobs and internships, as it is your chance to market yourself. Your portfolio should display your best work, and highlight your skills and creativity. Be sure to use a high-quality binder to show that you take yourself seriously as a designer. Include the following in your portfolio:
- Hand-drawn sketches or photographs of these sketches
- Computer-drawn designs
- Mood or concept pages
- Color or textile presentation pages
- Learn more. Do one (or both) of the following:
- Get a degree in fashion design. Most programs are three or four years long. You will study drawing, color and composition, pattern-making, and draping. In addition to learning practical skills like these, you will also be working with industry professionals who may serve as important contacts in the future and who can give you first-hand advice and feedback on your work.
- Apply for an internship or apprenticeship. If school is not for you, or if you simply feel that real-world experience will be of more benefit to you, then find a fashion internship. You will need to have an impressive portfolio to apply and be willing to start at the bottom; interns are often given menial tasks like getting coffee. Again, the connections you make through your internship or apprenticeship will be vital as you pursue your career in fashion, and working with industry professionals will give you an opportunity to pick up important skills first-hand.
Read full article at TheUrbanClassBoutique.com
Shanina Shaik for Cosmopolitan Australia March 2013
$6,965 - farfetch.com
TheUrbanClassBoutique.com is seeking to add new talent to our fashion blog. Do you feel as if you could be a fashion, beauty or style blogger for the fashion blog that receive exclusive invites from Vogue magazine, mingle with your favorites such as Hill Harper, Cathryn Horn, Jean Paul Gaultier, Philip Treacy, has been offered to join reality shows and most importantly provide the HAUTEst beauty and fashion content you won’t find anywhere else? If so email your fashion/beauty resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know why we should choose you!
On my way to #Mulberry grand opening in #sanfrancisco for view #vogue #art exhibition. Thanks #Vogue for the invite #fashion #style #chic #vintage #blue #dress #pink #cheetah #python (Taken with Instagram)